Tuesday, September 01, 2009

This and that

How fast is your propeller turning today?  Mine is at about 50% today.  I am staying busy but nothing I am doing is really forcing me to put my brain into afterburner.  Yesterday was a difficult day for me mentally in that I found it hard to focus.   Last week was the first week back to school and it was pretty brutal.  I already have a job where I have to go to work all day and solve problems.  When I have to go sit down and focus and think about things that I dont necessarily want to focus on it makes it harder.  No matter how hard it is to focus my secondary job is to increase my knowledge and become more educated.  Yes, they will teach me things that I probably will never ever use for the rest of my natural life however they will teach me things that will make me a more rounded person.  Considering my physique I am not sure that I need to be more rounded but you get my drift.  

I think that old age is creeping up on me because I am having the hardest time remembering "Posterous".  I keep remembering it as "Proteus".  I think that must be because of the movie Matrix.  One of their ships was named that wasn't it ?  Anyway, good thing there are bookmarks or I would never find my way back in here.  I was speaking to my wife the other day and she told me that 60 is not considered old by her anymore.  I looked at her and laughed and said that is because you are in your fifties yourself.  Of course 60 does not appear to be old from that stand point.  I guess age is relative and you are only as old as you feel.   With my joints acting up like they have in the last couple of weeks I have felt like I was 70.  Thanks to the marvel of modern medicine I am walking again without a lot of pain. 

Currently I am scanning the network computers and servers for missing Microsoft Security patches and critical updates.   I am migrating users off of one Terminal Services server onto another server that has been configured for Terminal Services.  I am gearing up for an application vendor to arrive here tomorrow so we can all three put our heads together and find out why the HECK their application is running like a locomotive that fell off the tracks.   I have spent considerable time over the last 2 months agonizing over this and that trying to figure out why this application runs so slowly.  I have been up and down the "Please dont take my pizza away"  OSI network layer trying to figure out why it is so slow.   The Pizza saying is the word picture that I memorized so that I can remember each of the OSI layers.  Physical, Data, Transport, Media, application.  I think I have Media wrong.  Oh well, it is something close to that.   When data leaves one computer and travels across the network media it stars at the bottom of the layer and works its way to the top and then when it arrives at the receiving computer it works its way from top to bottom.   One huge cycle that goes around and around all day long millions of times per day as data packets are thrown around on the network.  Pretty amazing stuff when you think about the complexities of it all. 

 

Posted via web from chiefpropellerhead's posterous

No comments: