Saturday, September 05, 2009

I want to illustrate my thoughts here with words and pictures

Friday was a very typical Friday for me at work.  I am not sure why but Friday's are sort of like Monday's and they are both busier than I would like for them to be.  Support requests seem to ebb and flow and I some times wonder if the moon cycles have anything to do with how feverish the requests become. 

This last couple of months has been brutal thanks to an ongoing project to redesign and optimize our network services in such a way to provide optimal performance for all our users. So I get to juggle regular support requests along with the demands of the many redesign tasks and keeping those changes as invisible as possible to the folks that use it.  Oh, and lest I forget I am also juggling 12 credits worth of studying this semester at Trident Technical College via online courses.  There is no way I could work all day and then drive for an hour to get to the campus in North Charleston.  That means I can study and participate online via the Internet.  I am a virtual student who is fortunate enough to have 20 years of experience in the same technology I am studying about.  This semester is going to be easier than the next one because most of the classes are a review of things I have already been exposed to or have studied about before on my own through self help study materials over the years. 

One of the things that I love to do to unwind is to write or play Texas Holdem.  I play Texas Holdem online via Facebook and I also go play at a real game with real people.  I have been going to this particular place with the same group of people for the last year or so.  I take my son with me because it is something that we can do together and we both enjoy it.  I spend 20.00 and we both get about 5 to 6 hours of enjoyment and frustration.  Justin has become quite the poker star prodigy.  Justin has more free time on his hands being 14 so he plays Texas Holdem online at different websites and gets lots and lots of practice at it.  He has become a student of the game while I just dabble in it to have fun.  Justin says that he wants to be one of the players in the World Poker Tour or whatever it is called.   I told him he needs to get a good education so he can get into a good career path where he can make lots of money so he can come up with the 10,000.00 buy in that it will take to get him into that level of play. 

Yes, I know, playing a game with dice or playing cards is illegal in South Carolina.  My pastor told me that he would not come bail me out of jail if I get busted because I have not shared any of my poker winnings with him.  My pastor knows that I play Texas Holdem because he follows my posts on Facebook so I guess you could say that he is keeping a watchful eye on my activities.  The role of the pastor keeping a watchful eye on the sheep has become a little bit easier now that the sheep do not mind blathering about their life activities on Facebook.  How convenient is that pastors of America ?  If you want to know what your congregations are doing in their spare time just sign up on their Facebook pages, MySpace pages or follow them in Twitter.  You will know more about your church members than you really want to know and then some.  Oh, and if you have members in your congregation who are not as forthcoming with their daily lives online then that should throw up a red flag for you and those people are the ones that you really need to be concerned about.  They are probably the ones who are involved in all manner or shady and illegal activities.  LOL....  Ok, I know that my editors from days gone by are going to wag their finger at me for using  Internet Chat acronyms in my writing but guess what.  This is MY BLOG and I am really not concerned about every single rule of grammar.  This is my literary playground where I can blather and have fun and not worry about the 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration rule of writing.  I can just write and write and write and let the words leak out of my fingers at any ole format that I want them to and just have fun doing it. 

Speaking of writing , I am taking English composition 100 this semester.  Most of this stuff is review because I took this same class about 29 years ago back at Henderson Junior College in Terrell Texas.  It has been intersting to me to read the many responses of my much younger fellow classmates as they are reading the same articles I am and having to provide substantive repsonses for the teacher to read and critique.  At first I was appalled at the fact that many of my fellow classmates struggle with basic spelling and grammar.  My wife who is taking graduate courses tells me that a lot of her classmates online that participate in online discussions have no clue how to use spell check nor do they know how to formulate simple sentences or how to write susbstative responses that flow or make sense.  I have always told my children that they must get the basics mastered.  The basics are reading, writing and math.  If you do not get the basics down at a very early age then you are missing some very critical building blocks for the rest of your education and you will struggle from there on out.  Despite the fact that some of my classmates struggle with spelling and simple sentences it has been interesting to see how different people who read the same articles come up with different and varying ideas and responses to the article.  It is also interesting to watch all of us writing and responding to one another in the online discussion forums.  I guess it is all part of the learning experience. 

On a final note this morning before I jump outta here is this.  How in the world do you insert an image , picture or clip art into an article on Posterous.  If there is a way or you know how to do it please reply via comments or write to me at jcmoffittatgmaildotcom (have at that you spiders) and let me in on the secret.  I would like to have the ability to insert some graphics so I can illustrate my ideas and thoughts along with the words. 

Have a restful, peaceful and blessed Labor Day weekend folks. 

Posted via web from chiefpropellerhead's posterous

No comments: