Sunday, August 30, 2009

Good morning Lowcountry

I am happy to announce that my sleep cycle seems to have magically repaired itself.  I stayed up until 2 am this morning watching Sons of Anarchy and talking with my IRC friends.  I was able to go to sleep and get some sleep for about 7 hours.  It feels nice to be awake and not all dopey feeling.  It is important that I recharge my batteries with work and school putting a huge demand on my ability to think correctly. 

Week one of school is over and for that I am thankful.  I am also thankful that I was able to find some semblance of organization and I did not get stuck studying for 7 days straight.  Everything seems to be due on Sundays and this last week most of my assignments were done by Friday morning.  That means that on the weekend I will have a little bit of free time to do something fun. 

This week will be another busy week at work as I work with our software vendor to fix the network latency our users are experiencing when using their software.  I am in the midst of slowly and methodically making changes to optimize how well the network runs.  When I say network I mean that we making changes at different layers.  At the physical layer we moved one of the servers over to a 1 GB pipe when it was at 10/100.  We offloaded DNS services off of the application server and we completely disabled WINS on the network since we do not have any Win9x boxes that require it.  We off loaded Terminal Services off of the application server and moved that over to a different server.  We have Net Observer running on the application server trying to determine where the bottleneck is.  The application in question uses a flat file database and does not require SQL or Oracle to run which is sort of maddening since there are no transactional issues to look at. 

Moving back to the home front my wife and I must be over the hill if we are sitting here drinking coffee and comparing the size of our horse pills that we have to take to manage certain health related issues such as blood pressure or mental equillibrium.  Better living through chemicals is better than not living at all I guess. 

 

Posted via web from chiefpropellerhead's posterous

No comments: