Friday, October 16, 2009

Making adjustments with the diet day 5

This is day five of my 30 day trial of the Take Shape for Life diet.  This diet provides you with 5 nutritious meals and you are allowed one lean and green meal one time per day.  I have not followed the plan 100% however I am seeing results.  

  • I feel so much better
  • post lunch comas are all but gone
  • flexibility is slowly getting better
  • joint pain in my left knee is there but much more bearable
  • my clothes seem to fit better
  • I have watched my blood pressure go down slowly

All of this has been motivational for me however the biggest motivating factor happened Thursday night when one of my computer customers who had not seen me 8 weeks or longer complimented me on my weight loss.  The first thing he said was " you are losing weight, good job".  I was like, you can notice?  He said,"absolutely you are doing something right, keep it up."  Now talk about some motivation folks, that is really motivating.  Someone at work also mentioned to me today that she could tell that I was losing weight.  Wooohoooo  now that is wonderful. 

Even though I have not followed the plan 100% I have made some tough decisions which are leading to some big adjustments in my diet.  The first thing I am doing is drinking much more water than normal. I am supposed to drink 64 oz of water per day and thus far I have been getting around 48 oz on most days. In five days I think I hit the 64 oz mark once so I need to improve on that.  I am using Crystal Light to give me some taste to make it a little easier to consume it.  I am also using Dasani flavored water and Poweraid flavored water. 

The five delicious meals that I received in the variety pack turned out to be mere snacks to me.  I understand that according to the "plan" the five meals are actually THE meals I am allowed to have.  My brain is having to adjust to the fact that I really do not have to eat as much as I used to.  I have also noticed that if I eat the bars and drink plenty of water that I am really not hungry.  When I am not hungry it makes it easier to not eat food that I should not eat.  I have also discovered that the only thing in the variety pack that I can tolerate or the snack bars.  Thus far the other stuff like the chicken and noodle soup or the shakes are just gross.  I even tried the chocolate pudding and it did not taste very good.  I know that I need to get better at sticking with the plan as closely as I can.  The closer that I stick to the plan the more weight I will lose and the faster it will come off.

This week the adjustments I made was to not eat any of the following.

  • ice cream from McDonalds
  • ice cream from a grocery store
  • cheeseburgers from anywhere
  • prime rib wrap from King Street Grille
  • sausage biscuit with egg and cheese from McDonalds
  • sweet tea
  • bread of any sort
  • ham and cheese sandwiches
  • ham egg and cheese sandwiches
  • french fries and fried shrimp (used to eat every Friday for lunch) 
  • fried foods

Now, I know, some of you might be saying big deal.  You should not be eating that garbage anyway.  I would say to you that is correct, I should not have been eating that food and thanks to eating it over the last 15 years it has led to where I am now.  For me to chose not to eat this type of food is a big adjust ment for me. I am HAPPY that I have been able to make the right choices this week even if I did not follow the plan 100%. So, with that said I need to try and do better this new week.  I think that things are going to get easier for me as time goes on.  The first two to three days were pretty rough as I was getting over the shock value of what a meal is on the plan vs my expectation of a real meal.    

Several of you have been very supportive of me in prayer and in verbal encouragement.  I have to say that I could not do this without the prayers and your encouragement.   My food nazi/life coach friend has been a proverbial pain in my back side but I do appreciate her motivational talks and reminders to drink that water even if I was a bit snarky about it.  You know who your friends are when they stick by you both in good times and bad times.   

 

 

 

Posted via web from chiefpropellerhead's posterous

No comments: