Saturday, February 21, 2004

The Purpose Driven Life Devotional Chapters 24-26

The Purpose Drive Life - Day 24,25 &26

Chapter 24 -The truth transforms us


Verse to remember - If you continue in my word, then are you disciples indeed, and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:31-32

Question to consider- what has God already told me in his word that I have not started yet?


The following quotes in this chapter stand out to me.

"The truth transforms us"

"Gods word generates life, creates faith, produces change, frightens the devil, causes miracles, heals hurts, builds character, transforms circumstances, imparts joy, overcomes adversity, defeats temptation, infuses hope, releases power, cleanses our minds, brings things into being, and guarantees our future forever"

"We cannot live without the word of God"

"Never take the word of God for granted"


Abiding in Gods word includes these activities



I must ACCEPT its authority
I must ASSIMILATE its truth
I must APPLY its principles



"Memorizing Bible verses helps resist temptation, make wise decisions, reduce stress, build confidence, offer good advice and enables me to share my faith with others."

"The truth will set you free, but first it may make you miserable! Gods word exposes our motives, points out our faults, rebukes our sin, and expects us to change"

"The bible was not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives"


To answer the question for this chapter will require brutal honesty. I have spent most of my time after spiritual rebirth gaining knowledge about God and his word. I have spent countless hours on intense bible study and preparation to teach what I have learned about Gods word to others. However I have not applied everything learned in practical ways to my life.

I guess that if I were honest I would have to say that I have practiced "sporadic obedience." Perhaps I could further define it as periods of being on a spiritual rollercoaster. On page 187 it says "many of our troubles occur because we base our choices on unreliable authorities: culture, tradition, reason and emotion." Our sin nature automatically engages all of these authorities if we are not careful. I have fallen victim to all four of these at different times in my life. Here are some action items I need to take.

I will read Gods word every day and not when I feel like it or when it is convenient

I will practice better self control with regards to being a good steward with my finances.

I will actively pursue opportunities to serve my immediate family, my church body and the community God placed me in.

I will purpose in my heart to find the good in people I meet and leave their problems and faults with God.

I will purpose to connect with other men in my community for the purpose of developing relationships so that we can grow in grace and spiritual maturity together.

I will purpose in my heart to renew my mind and heart through Gods word instead of trying to find multiple ways to be entertained and just burn empty time.

Chapter 25- There is a purpose behind every problem

Verse to remember- And we know that in all things God works for the good of those that love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Question to consider- What problem in my life has caused the greatest growth in me?


The following quotes in this chapter stood out for me.

"If you look at the world, you will be distressed. If you look at within, you will be depressed. But if you look at Christ, you will be at rest! Your focus will determine your feelings"

"Character building is a slow process"


I have had 3 major events in my life that have caused the most spiritual growth.


Event one happened when I was just 3 or 4 months old in Christ. I was a fire insurance Christian and I only called upon God when I was in trouble. I called Jesus savior but he was not the Lord of all. I lived life with me being in the center of the throne room of my heart and not God. I spent 45 days in a street rescue mission called The Star of Hope Mission where God got my undivided attention.

Event TWO happened when I experienced a divorce from my first wife and separation from the family I loved. I was devastated, angry, bitter and resentful towards my ex wife, her family and God. One of the things that I learned was that it takes 2 people to experience divorce and I had to recognize my participation in both conscious and unconscious sin that helped to destroy the relationship. I also experienced the pain and anxiety of separation from the two people that I loved with every fiber of my being. I learned during this time that God is always there and is able to comfort, strengthen and heal when no one else is.

Event 3 is when we lost our daughter Jessica to cancer. The most difficult part of this loss was to realize that Jessica was not ours. Jessica is Gods child. God allows us to experience the lives of children and to manage their day to day details. We are able to enjoy the many joys and trails that they face. We are reminded of our parent child relationship with God as we attempt to be Godly parents to our children. Our humanity is reflected back to us from our children as constant reminders of our need for humility and a real connection with our creator.

Chapter 26- Every temptation is an opportunity to do good.

Verse to remember- God blesses the people who patiently endure testing. Afterwards they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him James 1:12

Question to consider - What Christ like character quality can I develop by defeating the most common temptation I face?



The following quotes stood out for me in this chapter.

"God develops real peace within us, not by making things go the way we planned, but by allowing times of chaos and confusion"

"We learn real peace by choosing to trust God in circumstances in which we are tempted to worry or be afraid."

"We learn real peace by choosing to trust God in circumstances in which we are tempted to worry or be afraid"


I keep coming back to the theme with regards to my response to tests in my life. I always want for life to be smooth sailing. Why me Lord and what have I done to deserve this situation or these circumstances are questions I always seem to ask. I believe that ultimately I tend to do what is right with regards to being faithful and enduring hardship. My problem is I start out acting surprised at the circumstances of a situation and spend my initial moments mentally reacting to it as if the situation is not fair. Nothing in life is fair. We live in a fallen world and bad things happen to good people just as good things happen to bad people.

Sometimes I react wrong emotionally to circumstances and make poor choices. I can truly say that I am learning what it means to have peace and joy in the midst of trials in my life.




James Moffitt
http://www.jesus-connect.net/jcmoffitt
moffittj@bellsouth.net

No comments: