Saturday, February 21, 2004

The Purpose Driven Life Chatpers 27,28 & 29

Chapter 27- There is always a way out

Verse to remember- God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can not stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give into it. 1 Cor 10:13

Question to consider- who could I ask to be a spiritual partner to help me defeat a persistent temptation by praying for me?


According to this chapter defeating temptation takes these steps:

Refocus your attention on something else
Reveal your struggle to a godly friend or support group
Resist the devil
Realize your vulnerability

I have several people in my life who I am accountable to and who are willing to pray for any needs in my life. My wife is the first and foremost accountability partner since she is the closest to me and knows me better than most people.

Chapter 28- There are no shortcuts to maturity

Verse to remember- God began doing a good work in you, and I am sure he will continue it until it is finished when Jesus Christ comes again. Phillipians 1:6

Question to consider- In what area of my spiritual growth do I need to be more patient and persistent?


I need to be less fearful of loss. In this chapter it states “ There is no growth without change; there is no change without fear or loss; and there is no loss without pain. “ This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings. “Through the pain onward to battle and victory.” I need to start a notebook or journal of lessons learned. I love to write anyway so this should not be difficult for me to start.

I need to be more patient with myself. I am my worst judge.


Chapter 29- Service is not optional

Verse to remember - For we are Gods workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Question to consider- What is holding me back from accepting Gods call to serve him?



This chapter tells us the following truths

You were created to serve God
You were saved to serve God
You were called to serve God
You are commanded to serve God

“Impression without expression causes depression”

The only thing that is hindering me with regards to service is the amount of time I would like spend doing it. With regards to my local congregation I wish I were in a position to do more than I am able to do. I wish I had more avenues of ministry. It seems that the larger the congregation the more opportunities to serve.



James Moffitt
http://www.jesus-connect.net/jcmoffitt
moffittj@bellsouth.net

No comments: