Friday, March 16, 2007

Happily Addicted to the Web

Today started out at around 3:30 am thanks to Ginger the hyper mutt wanting to go potty and the flashes of lightning and roll of thunder that was starting to shake the tin can we live in. If you know me at all you know that I do not appreciate bad weather so it takes very little to shake me from slumber. I managed to cool the muggy house down after turning on the AC for a spell and got to get some winks in my recliner after I noticed the radar was not showing any severe weather that required my staying awake. I woke Katy up around 6:12 am and then drove her to work. Actually, I wound up driving around in circles trying to find a quicker route to take her since the traffic was already horrendous at 7 am. I spent the rest of my morning packing clothes and junk to take with us in the truck. I also ran around town all morning taking care of errands, paying bills and getting my prescription renewed at the doctors office and Kmart. Those errands took most of the morning. At 1:30 pm I captured Katy from work and we went to Mt Pleasant to Atlanta Bread Company to grab a quick bite to eat and check email on their free WiFi. Some people are more concerned about the quality of food and environment but I am more concerned with whether or not the business has free WiFi so I can feed my growing Internet addiction. I know, sad but true.

The trip from Charleston to George Town was beautiful with hardly any clouds in the sky. As soon as we got between George Town and Myrtle Beach the clouds got thicker and darker. Then the bottom fell out of the sky and my once clean and shiny Durango was once again getting pelted by nasty rain water. That is what I get for washing my truck knowing full well it was supposed to rain. I guess that is another one of my addictions, having to have a clean vehicle. Thanks Mom and Dad for that one. I spent most of my childhood washing and waxing the family car and my dads truck. I even grew to hate it. You would think that as an adult that washing and waxing a vehicle would be on my most hated things to do list.

We got to Compass Cove Resort before 6 pm and there were 20 people in the lobby trying to check in and literally no where to park. I managed to park in front of the lobby and get in line with Katy. We got checked in just fine. They had already had our group pre registered with our folders and key cards already programmed. That was pretty cool considering the normal routine that the others had to go through. I was in and out in less than 20 min. We had to go back out into the rain and drive 50 yards down Ocean Blvd to the next building which is part of the resort. I think it is called the Pinnacle building. Once again I managed to figure out that there was little to no parking. There are three levels to the garage that holds approximately 50 cars. I went all the way to the top and there were four spots left. I took one of them and I don not plan on moving my SUV for the rest of the weekend. The other unfortunate folks will have to park across the street and walk across in the rain. I guess I am glad I got here early so I could get settled. Once we got into our room the first thing I did was fire up the laptop and check out the WiFi connection. Did you forget the Internet addiction already? LOL… I was pleased to see that I was able to get a connection however I was only getting one bar in the living room part of our room. I unplugged the power and brought the laptop into the bedroom section closest to the door and the elevator and now I have FIVE bars of signal. Wooooohooooo. That discovery also required me having to get my poor wife to help me drag the small dining room table out of the living room area, through the tiny kitchen into the bedroom. Poor dear was shaking her head the whole time. What can I say, Katy has her blow dryer, tons of clothes, her coca cola bottle we brought from home , I only need one bed, shower and the Internet to keep me pacified.

My stomach is calling and there is a meet and greet session down in one of the conference rooms next door so I must close for now. I will try to take some pictures later on this weekend if it gets prettier outside. For now it is rainy and ugly.

No comments: