Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Back to the drawing board

I found out today that the job that I had applied for was not mine. They gave the job to someone else. Can you imagine that? Well, I am disappointed in some ways but I am not surprised. I am going to have to go back to the drawing board and see what I can do to find something else. The hard part about not being a permanent employee somewhere is that it is so easy to get rid of you. We have enjoyed working with you and we wish you well in your new endeavours. We really do not have anything else for you to do. Thanks. I can not tell you how familiar I am with those words. Corporate America loves out sourcing and hiring temps for temporary assignments because they do not have to pay any benefits. Once your usefullness to them is gone they can throw you out like a piece of trash.

So, with that in mind, time to start digging through the newspaper again on Sunday. I can not wait to do that. I love taking my magnifying glass and reading glasses and gaze through all the tiny micro print reading all of the many jobs that are listed. The million dollar question is this. Are the jobs that are listed really an actual job or are they just trolling for available candidates to keep their resume database full? I know for certain that recruiters love to do that on the Internet on the supposed job boards. That means that all you can do is throw a million and one resumes into the Cyberwind and hope that one of them is an actual job and someone contacts you.

I remember job hunting in the old days when you drove to the business, filled out the application and could speak to someone about the hiring process. You could call back later and talk to someone in HR to find a status. In those days there were very few businesses that would accept a resume online via the web and most of the time they wanted a fax. With the advent of the Internet the hiring managers can put a form out on a website and you can fill out all your information there and then if they like you they call you for a phone interview. If they do not like you then you wont hear a thing. Sometimes there is not even a phone number to call or a contact to check status with. It is faster and easier for the employer and also much more impersonal to boot.

I think I need to win the lottery soon so I dont have to go through finding another job all over again.



James Moffitt
http://www.lightourworld.com
http://moffittjc.blogharbor.com/blog
james.moffitt@comcast.net

No comments: