Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In Loving Memory of Carl Hickson

I do not have a lot of time to write this morning however I do want to remember my Uncle Carl who passed away in Terrell Texas yesterday. This was my favorite uncle out of the several that I did have. Uncle Carl was in a nursing home and I do not have many specifics of what happened other than he passed away sometime yesterday. I do know that I have a LOT of fond childhood memories of this uncle. Uncle Carl was the one who had the patience to teach me how to drive as a teenager. I guess I was 15 or 16 years old when I started spending the summer vacations with my Aunt Mickey and Uncle Carl in Terrell Texas. Both my aunt and uncle treated my sister and I just like one of their own kids. My uncle was a contractor who built homes in the Dallas Ft Worth area for many years. I remember that I used to get up with him at 5 am every work day and have biscuits with peanut butter and maple syrup with a cup of coffee. Uncle Carl spent many hours in the sun and I can always remember the deep tan that he developed because of this. I remember how he would take me to a parking lot at the high school in Terrell and let me drive his new Chevy Silerado Pickup truck and teach me how to park and backup and parallel park. Uncle Carl loved to play golf and spent a lot of free time on the weekends on the golf course in Terrell Texas. I am forever grateful to both of my aunt and uncle who are now passed on for the love, affection and care that they extended to me and my sister as teenagers. I lived with them one summer when they took care of my grandmother who had several strokes and required a lot of nursing care at home before she passed away in 1980. I remember how hard that was on them and the family at that time. God bless you Uncle Carl, you are loved and will be missed.

James Moffitt
http://www.lightourworld.com
http://moffittjc.blogharbor.com/blog
james.moffitt@comcast.net

No comments: