Monday, August 21, 2006

Drama less Monday

Today the moon and stars are lined up correctly and all is well at work central. The two ladies I am working with have not tried to kill each other yet nor have they yelled at one another either. I guess you could say that the drama needle is not even quivering this morning. Thank you JESUS for that one. I am not much into drama. I love a quiet peaceful environment to work in if at all possible. I work in a server room so I have to listen to the roar of the many power supply fans that are on the other side of our make shift cubicles here at work. I can not wait for the powers to be to allocate some new space and move us computer operators out of this computer room. It will be nice for someone to be able to talk to me and say something without me going HUH? When one of my co workers says something to me they have to talk loud or repeat themselves. I sometimes just roll my chair over to their corner and listen to what they are saying.
I wonder why "computer operators" are called computer operators when it comes to using the main frame. I would think that a computer would be a COMPUTER, wouldn't you? I mean, we have thousands of Personal Computers all over the campus and in all of the buildings that administrative folks use. We call them "users" instead of computer operators. Hummmmm I guess it has to be because when you use a personal computer you are in a client server configuration (client being PC and Server being where you log on for files, email etc) and the computer operators use a dumb terminal connection (attachmate) to communicate directly with the mainframe. So, if I am a computer operator (mainframe users) and a PC user that makes me a computer operator/user person.
In three years the powers to be have decided to ditch the mainframe and port all of the openvms code to Mickeysoft and Oracle. That ought to be fun and keep all of us busier than we care to be for years to come. LOL... I have spent the last 16 years in supporting Novell & Microsoft Network Operating Systems in five different industries so being a computer operator is quite different environment for me to be in. I am on week number 4 and I am much more comfortable with openvms than what I was on day one. Luckily for me I come from the DOS 3.3 world and typing in commands is no big deal. You just have to learn what command does what, what syntax to use and the directory the data is in and the file name you want to manage.
All is back to normal in our household. The billy goat (Ginger the terrier) is in her cage, Angel (the non destructive Lab) is gaurding Kristina's room and both children are at school, Katy is at her teaching job in North Charleston and I am downtown flying my keyboard. I have my last bowling night for the Summer league tonight and I think we might be in fourth or fifth place which means no awards money. We start our Winter league on September 17th so we have three weeks to rest up and do something else on Monday night like go to the gym.
Speaking of the gym, I am feeling much better and my shoulder is sort of back to normal after over doing things on Saturday afternoon. I guess I am not 18 any more. I can not lift what I used to. That is ok though, I need to be toning and doing more cardio anyway so I can burn some fat calories. If you burn more calories than you take in then you start to lose weight. It is amazing how many calories you can eat if you do not pay attention to it.
Ok, I think I have driveled enough for today. I hope you have a good day today.


James Moffitt
http://www.lightourworld.com
http://moffittjc.blogharbor.com/blog
moffittj@bellsouth.net

No comments: