Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Printer Hell Concluded

It just occured to me that I have left the Printer Hell story hanging without telling you what happened in the end. How did this story end? I wound up taking the printer to another local company to a man who has been working on them specifically for the last 23 years. Well, anyway that is the story he gave me and since his shop had nothing but printers and printer parts strewn all over the place it was a good enough story for me assuming he could get me out of this jam. Sure enough, 3 days later I called this man back and he found out what the problem was. I did a very good job of pulling the printer apart but I did not do a very good job of putting the wiring harnesses back where they go. These printers have more screws, wires, relays, sensors and flags than you can imagine. Apparently when I put the printer back together the last time one of the wiring harnesses did not have the wires routed through the plastic housing correctly and when I used the screws to put things back together some of the wires got pinched to the point that the signal that was supposed to go through them never made the trip therefore the printer was blind to its components and therefore thought that since it could not see itself that there must be a paper jam. So, the printer was fixed and has been back home at the law firm all safe and secure. I am also finding out that the Laserjet 4200 printers seem to go through the fuser assemblies faster than they should. It is not a fault with the printer however it seems that HP has manufactured some faulty fuser roller plastic. The fuser assembly "fuses" image toner to the paper through a series of two rollers that the paper passes through which melts the toner to the paper. What happens is the plastic coating on the rollers starts to wear off on the ends or even peel completely off the roller causing the toner in that area of the roller not to get fused to the paper and creates a streak down that side of the page.

No comments: