Thursday, May 26, 2005

Good morning bloggers

I went to bed around 11pm and mother nature woke me up around 4:45 am for a surprise visit. I am not sure why this could not have waited until 7 or 8 am but anyway. Now it is 5 am and I can tell that mother nature is not going to let me go right back to sleep. So, here I am on the couch with a pillow in my lap banging on the keyboard once again. I can hear a rooster crowing across the street and one up the street not too far from me. I can hear the sounds of the refrigerator humming behind me. Have you ever wondered why roosters crow? I used to think that they did that only in the morning but for some reason that is not correct. The rooster across the street from us seems to crow all the time. Maybe it is confused about the time of the day or it is afflicted with the same loud mouth disease that Sammy the mutt is affected with.
On Sunday night I downloaded an .iso (image) file from
www.knoppix.org. Last night I found a program that would allow me to create a bootable cd rom and burn the image to cd. Once I did that i was able to reboot the laptop to cd and run Knoppix 3.8 for the first time. The entire process took about 4 minutes and Knoppix actually saw all of the hardware on my system. The only thing it did not see was the wireless Internet card. However, it did recognize the ethernet card and had I had a nic cable plugged in I would have been able to surf the web via Linux. Cool stuff aye? Now, you are probably sitting there thinking "why in the world would you want to play with Linux when there are so many more applications written for Mickeysoft?" Well, the truth of the matter is this. Hardware and software toys are cool things to play with and experiment. It is all part of the mind candy addiction I suppose. During the day I fix broken technology and after my day is done earning that proverbial pay check I like to spend time playing with technology. I like looking at different things for different reasons. One reason is because it keeps me stimulated and learning new things. Believe it or not there are more Linux and Unix based Internet servers than there are Windows based servers. Mikeysoft has come a LONG long way over the years but initially the Internet ran primarily on a Unix based OS. The last time I played with Linux was with one of the Redhat releases. You had to install it to your hard drive and you also had to know your hardware inside and out. During the install process the Redhat install would query you about this chipset or that chipset on specific pieces of hardware and if you had not pulled the machine apart and written all of those details down then you would have to stop the install procedure turn off the machine and go get it.
Well that is all for now, hopefully you have a good day today. I am going to try and grab a couple of more winks before my day starts officially. It is way too early to turn on the coffee pot.
God bless

No comments: