Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Update on Social Security benefits and our government officials receiving them


My friend Pat shared this with me in e-mail so in turn I wanted to share it with you. I have yet to review it but I plan to.


Here's what the Urbanlegends Guide has to say about it:


It's true that members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives enjoy a generous government pension plan ­ some say too generous ­ but this email rant offers very little else in the way of accuracy.

Under a law enacted in 1983, all members of Congress participate in the Social Security system, both contributing and receiving benefits. Upon retirement, members receive either a combination of federal pension and Social Security benefits or Social Security alone, depending on when their term of service started and how they configured their individual plan.

More here:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcongress.htm

No comments: