Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Be vewy vewy careful......

Just today I sent out an e-mail to my "technology" distribution list and they wrote me back that according to their Anti Virus vendor that they were safe. This was my response back to them in e-mail and I thought it would be good to post here as well.

Anti Virus protection is not "set it and forget it" anymore. Hackers and script kiddies are writing viruses faster than Mcafee and Symantec can write patches for them. Almost every computer that I get that comes into the pc repair shop that is infected with viruses are either running Norton Anti Virus or McAfee. Granted, most of the time the end user who got infected got lazy and did not do live update or schedule it to be done for them on a regular basis. A regular basis today is atleast twice per week. I remember a time when once every 30 days was good enough. Not anymore.

I use both Norton Anti Virus and AVG at the shop. I NEVER run one virus scan with one product and believe it. I always double check. So, with that fact in mind dont get too comfy with the idea that your Anti Virus vendor is covering all the basis. The time period between the time a virus is released into the wild and the time it takes your Anti Virus Vendor to cover its bases and send out an update to cover you could mean the difference between a virus infection and data loss not to mention lost time in putting your system back together after the damage is done.

Be vewy vewy careful....

No comments: