Sunday, July 01, 2007

Empty nest for a week

Katy and I put the kids on the bus for Camp Happy Days this morning around 10:30 am. We are now free for the week until next Saturday morning when they return with more junk than they took. Katy and I went out for brunch around 11 am and then decided to go catch a movie. We went to see the new Bruce Willis movie called Live Free or Die Hard. Oh my gosh, if you have a pace maker you might not go see this film. This film is just like the rest of his movies with TONS of non stop action. I won't ruin it for those of you that have not seen it yet but if you are a geek and you love action flicks then this is the movie for you to see. On a scale of one to ten I give it a resounding TEN.

After the movie we went over to Sandpiper Lanes so I could bowl a practice game and see if my thumb is up to more bowling. I managed to pick up the ball four times and throw it down the alley. My thumb sent messages to my brain promising me lots of pain if I were to continue down that path. I got the message loud and clear and put my bowling gear away for the summer. I am not too happy about this turn of events. There are very few sports that I can participate in and bowling is one of them. There are only four or five weeks left for the summer leagues so I guess I am out with this thumb for the duration. Someone did tell me that it would take 5 to 7 weeks for this thing to finally heal.

It looks like we will spend part of my vacation time painting the house and replacing some carpeting that got ruined thanks to the darn mutts. I told Katy that if the dogs decided to do their business on the new carpeting that I would go borrow the neighbors gun and put them out of their misery. As you can imagine that went over like a lead balloon. I was threatening harm against her hairy loved ones and placing myself in danger of her wrath. Katy was telling me of one of our church friends who lives in a smaller house than what we are in and she has 21 animals. Can you imagine having 21 animals to tend to every single day? Don't get me wrong, I love my Angel, KC and Ginger but even they are a bit much when it comes to upkeep and feeding etc.

We came home this afternoon and got comfortable in our recliners with the intent of catching a few winks. The rain was coming down and the temperature was dropping a bit so It was a wonderful time to take a nap. I started to hear what I thought was a tapping noise like we had a leak in the house. Upon further investigation we discovered that the UPS was clicking and making strange noises. The next thing I know I hear voices outside and someone was calling out for our next door neighbor. I went outside to find several of my neighbors telling me that my next door neighbor's air compressor to the AC unit was arcing like it had some sort of short. We managed to get the AC turned off and left our neighbor a message about the problem and called the landlord. By this time I am having flash backs to the recent Memorial Day weekend fire that we had across the street.

No comments: