Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Who will save me?

New years resolutions. How many did you make and how many will WE break before the end of January 2006? I have long since given up making New Years Resolutions because I have found that I lack the self discipline that is needed to do them. How sad is that folks? Some things are easy to do especially when it only takes minor adjustments and does not require a lifestyle change. However, things such as loosing weight or stopping an addictive behaviour requires just that. A lifestyle change. A change that starts in the heart and works up into the mind and is then acted upon by the body. If you do not believe it then you will not visualize it and then you wont DO IT. Make sense?? One of the things I NEED to do is to read God's word more. Sure, I read devotionals from time to time but those are only SNACKS. How long will I be able to continue on snacks? I need MEAT and lots of it. Perhaps if I was taking in more MEAT in Gods word perhaps I might not struggle so much with self discipline in some of the areas of my life such as losing weight or being a better husband and father. I get devotional material from someone called Dwight Clough. His ministry is called Discoveries. Whenever a light comes on in my head I normally say either "today in discovery zone" or " I had a brain fart". I have a friend who HATES it when I use the word "FART" either in the written word or verbally speaking it. I have been told that is a MAN thing and that I need to refrain from doing it. LOL... So, I will try to not use the WORD **** here. I will say that I am going to enter in to a "discovery zone" with regards to the things that God shows me in His word and then I will possibly be able to share those thoughts with you. I do not expect you to agree with what Dwight Clough says nor what my reflections might say. What I am hoping though is that our thoughts will inspire you to enter into your own discovery zone and that as you work out your salvation with trembling and fear through the study of Gods word that we will all become closer to Him and therefore become more complete in Him as well. Once that starts to happen then true healing can happen in the hurtful places of our hearts.

Here is part of what Dwight wrote today in his devotional.
You see, there really aren't any superstars when it comes to the church. No matter whom you admire ... Billy Graham, Mother Theresa, James Dobson, Bill Hybels, the Pope ... we are all made of clay. The only difference among us is this: some of us are smart enough to realize how needy we are, how helpless we are, how hopeless we are without a moment by moment infusion of God's grace.Every so often, God allows us to feel the need. It a gentle reminder that we aren't God's gift to mankind. Jesus is.Be encouraged!Dwight http://www.dwightclough.com


Rom 7:23
However, I see a different standard at work throughout my body. It is at war with the standards my mind sets and tries to take me captive to sin's standards which still exist throughout my body.
Rom 7:24
What a miserable person I am! Who will rescue me from my dying body?
Rom 7:25
I thank God that our Lord Jesus Christ rescues me! So I am obedient to God's standards with my mind, but I am obedient to sin's standards with my corrupt nature.


My mind recognizes the need for righteousness which comes from living what Gods word says. However my mind also realizes that it is at war with my body (flesh) because my body (flesh) does not want to submit to the mind or the will of God. My flesh is like a ravenous beast who is out of control that I must crucify daily. My mind is only able to control my body to the extent that I immerse my mind in the life changing word of God which is the only thing that is able to overcome the sinfulness that resides in my flesh. I am constantly battling double standards. I want to be obedient to God however I also want to please my flesh and make it happy. God's grace is sufficient to save me despite my wretched delima that I am. God knows that without his grace I am lost and headed for hell. I need Gods grace moment by moment to overcome these sinful urges of the flesh. Is this why the bible says to work out your salvation with trembling and fear? --Posted by James Moffitt to

No comments: