Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

It is the day before Thanksgiving and all through the house the Moffitt munchkins are buzzing about getting things ready for Christmas. When I left for the bat cave this morning Kristina and Justin had a christmas tree, ornaments and all the trimmings scattered all over the living room floor. The christmas music was playing, the birds were a chirping, Katy was a singing in the kitchen, the dog and puppy were running about and of course I was on my way out the door.
No, not Bah Humbug, I am actually looking forward to the holiday season this year for some strange reason. For a fleeting moment I almost felt guilty looking forward to the holiday season and then I reminded myself that my life wont last forever and maybe it is time for me to put scrooge to rest and learn how to enjoy what we do have today. As I gaze upon the fleeting shadows of the last four years and how I have been allowing the holiday seasons to be overshadowed by Jessica's passing I am sad to say that my not enjoying them did not make it any better. It is true that our family will never be the same. The question is will I allow that fact to define who we are from here on out? In and of itself the past defines us and shapes who we are but that does not mean that we can not look up and forward into the future and try to make the best of things. Only we can shape our futures to a certain extent. Only we can make the effort necessary to make what changes we can with regards to our attitudes and outlook on life in general.
This morning I was having a chat with God about those things I am very thankful for. I try to tell God every day about how thankful I am for the things that he does for me and my family and those posessions he allows me to manage. After all, none of this stuff really belongs to me. Well, we can not take it with us when we die, right ? How many Uhaul trucks have you seen following the hearse? Here are some things I am thankful for....
My faith in God, God's love for me, God's provision, God's mercy, God's grace, God's forgiveness of my sin. I am thankful for my immediate family, wife, children and my extended family, church and friends. I am thankful for our physical, spiritual, and mental health. I am thankful for our jobs and the income that is provided to take care of our needs and some of our wants. I am thankful for my children and how good they are doing in school and their activities at church. I am thankful for Grace Fellowship Church and how it ministers to my family and allows me a place to minister to others through my gifts and talents. I am thankful for the quality and quantity that has been added to my life because of my family and friends.
I am thankful that I live in America and that I have freedoms and choices that not many folks all around the globe enjoy. I am thankful that I have the right to vote for my leaders in different levels of government. I am thankful that I am free to attend church and do not have to hide the fact that I am a christian. I am thankful that I can go to work every day and EARN a living no matter how difficult things might get. I am thankful that the Dallas Cowboys are 7-3 and at the top of the NFC East and I do not have to hide the fact that I am a fan this year. LOL...
Tomorrow we will spend time with friends and family as we come together to stuff ourselves with the goofy gobbler. I guess we should be thankful we are not winding up like the stuffed gobbler huh? Things could ALWAYS be worse. My prayer is that you have a safe, restful and enjoyable time with those that you love. I am also hopeful that the Dallas Cowboys will tame the Denver Broncos and ride them around the stadium and keep them from scoring too many points tomorrow. LOL

No comments: