Sunday, August 29, 2004


Hurricane Party anyone?? Well actually Gaston was only a Tropical Storm but the only thing that seperated this storm from being a full fledged hurricane was 4 MPH worth of sustained winds. Luckily for us here in the Lowcountry this baby did not develop into a beast. We managed to weather this storm without any major problems. The wind howled and blew tree limbs off but the only thing that those damaged was Justin's bycycle and it needed help anyway so no big loss. One limb that took out Justin's bike would have taken out most of the porch had it been another foot to the right. I am glad it missed.

Power went out around 11 am and stayed out until approximately 5:30 Pm. Yeah, we get to keep our food in the fridge and sleep with some cool air on us tonight. What a treat that will be!! DSL died before the lights did so hopefully that will be back online soon. I know that I know that it is possible to live without high speed Internet but I would rather not.

Now, we can look forward to Hurricane Frances who is predicted to get close to us by the end of next week. Yipes, I hope it just misses us altogether and goes somewhere else. How about going back out into the Atlantic and just spinning itself out?? That might not be a realistic wish but I will wish it for all of us. I spent most of the morning online with my friend Patty who was also online in Mt Pleasant where she weathered the worse of tropical storm Gaston. Patty told me that the wind was blowing water through the door knob where the screws hold it onto the door. The wind must have been blowing pretty hard to do that Patty. I asked Patty if she had put floaties on her three birds just in case the water starting to rise and she laughed. Now that this mess is over and to the north of us we can begin the clean up efforts and watch the waters begin to recede.

Reporting to you live from downtown Charleston South Carolina.

No comments: