Sunday, January 18, 2004

The Purpose Driven Life Journal Entries 3-9

Chapter 4 - Made to last forever - Thinking about my purpose.


Point to ponder - There is more to life than just here and now


Verse to remember- 1 John 2:17 - This world is fading away, along with everything it craves. But if you do the will of God, you will live forever.



Question to consider- Since I was made to last forever, what is the one thing I should stop doing and the one thing I should start doing today. The following quote from page 37 struck a chord with me.


" When you fully comprehend that there is no more to life than just here and now, and you realize that life is just preparation for eternity you will begin to live differently. You will start living in the light of eternity, and that will color how you handle every relationship, task and circumstance. The closer you live to God, the smaller everything else appears."

I have heard of people that were so heavenly minded that they were of no earthly good. We are in this world, passing through and aliens to the worldview around us.
Perhaps there needs to be more of a balance. Maybe we are so earth centric that we loose sight of eternity. One of the things I need to stop doing is to stop limiting myself with regards to my mental or spiritual potential. How many years have I wasted in ministry because I bought into the church mindset that says only licensed and ordained ministers are qualified to "minister". I need to stop filtering my spiritual and ministry purpose through the light of denominational legalism and cultural and/or tradition. I know that I have not been called to the office of a Pastor. However there are other spiritual gifts within the body that do not require me to be a pastor, ordained or licensed. What do I need to start doing? I need to start becoming more radical with my faith. I need to be more willing to take some risks. I need to quit worrying about my personal security bubble or whether my being spiritually fruitful for God will infringe on my creature comforts. How ill the hurting and spiritually dying and ignorant ever know about Christ if I do not tell them? How many people in the community that God has placed me in are lacking or hurting or headed for hell because I am not willing to take a risk? What is more important in life? Is it being politically correct and making sure you don't upset someone or is it more important to deliver the good news of Christ in a spirit of love, compassion and humility? I need to start being more effective with every resource (time, talent and money) at my disposal to becoming fruitful for Christ.



Chapter 5:

Point to Ponder: Life is a Test and Trust

Verse to remember: Luke 16:10 a- Unless you are faithful in small matters you wont be faithful in large ones.

Questions to consider: What has happened for me recently that I realize was a test from God? What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me?



Recently my life metaphor has been viewed as survival. Katy and I have found ourselves going day by day reacting to the stress, trials and tribulations with the mindset of surviving. "We are in survival mode" has been our response when folks asked "how are you doing?". I like to say " I am" vs I am not, or "one day at a time" meaning that I am hoping to just survive that day with its crisis and make it to the next one. I like the following statements on page 43. " God tests my faith through problems, tests my hope by how I handle possessions, and tests my love through people." "God left him alone to test his character to reveal a weakness, and to prepare him for more responsibility". "Most people fail to realize that money is both a TEST and a TRUST from God. How many times in my life have I realized that God did not bless me with more than what He has because I probably could not be trusted with it. OUCH!!!!

Recently I would say that God has been testing me through the loss of a child to cancer and the loss of regular income and employment. The greatest matters that God has entrusted to me are the following.

To be faithful and obedient despite my circumstances

To be the type of husband that Katy needs, one who is a spiritual leader, Christ like and less selfish

To be a good father to my children and reflect the character of God to them through my actions.

To be faithful and fruitful in ministry both online as well as the local church.


Chapter 6: - This world is not our own

Verse to remember - So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

Question to consider- How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?


The first thing it should do is change my perspective of life. My life metaphor should change. I should begin to invest my time, money and talents into things that have eternal value. I need to invest in my family, my local church. I need to equip my children to be aware of their purpose and how to be able to recognize that purpose and walk it out in practical ways. I need to quit worrying about what standards that other people judge me with. I should be more passionate about other people knowing Christ on a personal level.


Chapter 7- It is all for HIM

Verse to remember - For everything comes from God alone. Everything lives by his power, and everything is for his glory. Romans 11:6

Question to consider - Where in my daily routine can I become more aware of Gods glory?



On page 54 we are reminded of the following need with regards to God's Glory. " We are commanded to recognize his glory, honor his glory, declare his glory, praise his glory, reflect his glory, and life for his glory." I can recognize the glory of God on my daily routine by being more aware of those things, events or people who reflect the glory of God. Sometimes it is easy for me to compartmentalize God in my life. In other words there are scheduled moments in time where I focus primarily on the character of God and pursuing him in Christian disciplines and activities. Then if I allow myself to get entangled in the things of this world I begin to loose sight of the importance of viewing my world through the eyes of a believer. When I view a situation in life I can either look for Gods glory in it or I can look for opportunities to use that situation as a way to make me more secure, comfortable or happy. I need to spend more time pursuing the glory of God present in other people and do less measuring of them through my world view. If I only see the negative, bad or faulty side of a person then I will be blond to what God things are present in that person reflecting Gods glory. I need to be less condemning and critical of myself and allow God to show me his glory reflecting through those things he has done in my life through the years. I need to slow down and re evaluate all of my life centric tasks so that I can be in a position to take the time to find Gods glory and enjoy him to the fullest.

The following brings Glory to God


We bring Glory to God by worshipping Him.

"God wants our worship to be motivated by love, thanksgiving, and delight, not duty". How many years have I spent viewing the act of worship as what we do on Sunday morning before the sermon when we sing praise and worship music? This book tells me that I can worship God in these ways and bring God glory when I do them. We are reminded that worship is a lifestyle of enjoying God, loving Him, and giving ourselves to be used for His purposes.

We bring Glory to God by loving other believers

The book states "Christ is not just a matter of believing; it also includes belonging and learning to love the family of God." Loving the family of God takes time, sacrifice and a willingness to extend grace and mercy to both the loveable and the unlovable. We find it so easy to love those people whom have the same ideals, philosophies, lifestyles and doctrine. How can we extend grace, mercy and love to those children of God whom we struggle to identify with because we perceive some rough edges?

We bring glory to God by becoming like Christ

That is easier said than done. The process of sanctification should happen on a daily basis and it usually requires that I exit my comfort zone and take some risks that will test my faith. 2 Corinthians 5:17 describes this daily process.

We bring glory to God by serving others with our gifts

The book tells us "Each of us was uniquely designed by God with talents, gifts, skills and abilities" "God did not give you your abilities for selfish purposes."


We bring glory to God by telling others about him.

We bring glory to God by telling others about him. Why do we fail to tell people about who Jesus is? Are we ashamed of God are we afraid someone may ask you a tough question or even worse ridicule your faith? Are we too busy earning money to pay for our extravagant lifestyles and that leaves no spare time to share the good news of Christ with our neighbors and friends? I need to purpose in my heart each day to find creative ways to inject some passion and enthusiasm into my life so that people will want to know more about my Jesus. How can I tell anyone about my Jesus when I allow the circumstances of my life to rob me of my joy in the Lord and his promises? The answer is I can not share the joy of the Lord or his good news when I am constantly focusing on negative circumstances.


Chapter 8 - I was planned for Gods pleasure

Verse- The Lord takes pleasure in his people Psalms 149:4

Question - What common task could I start doing as if I were doing it directly for Jesus?


The two things that come to mind would be work and domestic duties around the house. As a husband and father when I manage to find the desire to do domestic chores I know that I am serving my family. If I were to do those tasks as if unto the Lord then it would be an act of worship as well. My work can be an act of worship if Christ is the center focus of how and why I do what I do to earn money. I am an ambassador for Christ in the workplace and if I view my job as a way to serve and worship God and my fellow man then God will be pleased.


Chapter 9 - God smiles when I trust him

Verse to remember- The Lord is pleased with those who worship him and trust his love. Psalms 147:11

Question to consider - Since God knows what is best, in what areas of my life do I need to trust him most?



I need to trust God more in the area of finances. I need to trust God more with regards to my circumstances. I need to trust God more with regards to believing His word that states that those that trust in Him as Lord and Savior will be in Heaven. As I walk through the grief process of loosing a child to cancer I sometimes struggle with having faith to believe that I will see Jessica again one day. I have been told by other Christian brothers that I have trust issues so maybe I need to trust God to give me the ability to trust other people and their motives and intentions. I tend to react with the spirit of being from the "show me state". You show me you have pure intentions through your actions and then I will believe you. I suppose that is why trust and faith go hand in hand.

No comments: