Saturday, June 29, 2002


Yeah! This is SATURDAY and we got to sleep in until 8 am. Whoaaaaaa, what a deal that is. We normally get up at 5 am Monday through Friday so I am thoroughly enjoying this lazy morning.

I wanted to follow up on my previous post of what it means to be an American and what folks should do IF they dont like where they live.

I was not born here. I am a naturalized citizen which means that I had to live here for X amount of years and meet certain requirements BEFORE the US Government would consider me a citizen. One of those requirements was to be able to speak the English language and to say the pledge of Allegiance. I remember that day in Federal Court in Dallas Texas as if it were just yesterday. I believe that I was 13 years old when I became an official citizen of the US.

My parents were military and thanks to being adopted out of an orphanage in Ashofenburg Germany I am now enjoying the freedom and priveleges of being an American. If I had not been adopted along with my blood sister we would have experienced a much harsher life.
At the age of 8 years old the boys in the orphange were forced to go out and earn money and bring it back to share with the rest of the children. When my adoptive parents found me I had very little to my name. I was 1 years old and had a cast on my right leg up to my knee cap. If it were not for my parents being in the military, adopting me and giving me the many operations they did on my club foot I would never have walked. My sister was blind in one eye and there was no hope that she would ever see right. At the age of 17 my sister took her drivers test and eye exam without glasses and passed.

Just this last week a judge on an appellate court decided that saying the pledge of allegiance was unconstitutional. Was he smoking some serious drugs when he came to that conclusion??

No comments: